Kirsten Lecture Reflection

     This lecture was really interesting because today we had the guest speaker Kirstin come and talk about her experience as a filmmaker. She was very confident with herself, and she was able to captivate the audience's attention. Her sense of style was very loud and I really liked the fact that she didn't care what other people had to say. Her favorite color was orange, so she wore clothing that reflected that. I think this is very admirable about her because sometimes I think I care way too much about what others think, where it inhibits me from trying new things or not having the courage to. She, on the other hand, was very inspirational in that aspect, and I hope to have the courage that she contains one day. Another way that she did this, was that she would not be afraid to get really close to the students by sitting down next to them or asking them various questions. The way Kirstin got close and personal to the students, helped break the initial awkward barrier that most strangers have when meeting one another for the first time. Something interesting that she made all the students participate in, was staring into another students' eyes for a good 2 minutes. The reason for this exercise was mainly to help break the ice with other students, but also to show how long 2 minutes actually is when trying to convey a story through media. Initially, some people found the task to be a little awkward, however, I found it to be rather funny and intriguing. The short film that she showed us was very interesting because I found her shots to all contain the small blimp missile in the air. I think that she helped keep it mysterious because prior to this short film, I was not aware that the U.S. military had something like this just levitating over another country. One of the shots that I thought was amazing was when she got down really low to the ground and shot the man selling fruits(?). The shot gave the audience an entirely new perspective which would normally be difficult without the camera. The way that Kirstin ended her lecture was perfect because she called on this student who taught us that in her country, they don't say goodbye, but rather something that meant till next time, or something of the sort! 

Comments