A Soundwalk Down St Marks



            As I get off the train station, I listen intently for my surroundings.
 “Click clack bam” “Swish swish swish”
            I can hear the various noises coming from people’s shoes as they get off the 6 train station. The sound of people talking, laughing, crying, all ring through my eardrums as I come up from the subway staircase. This neighborhood is nothing new to me, because I walk just about this same route everyday coming back from Hunter College. Although this area is all too familiar, there almost is always some new sound to be discovered. As I take a seat next to the uptown train station, I can hear the sound of people working, numerous cars going by on the street, the sound of bikes and skateboards as they swoosh on by. The things that catch my ears for the longest are the cute dogs barking at one another, almost as If they were exchanging playful greetings. There are sounds of people eating different foods while walking down the street, or sitting in front of restaurants. One of the most distinct noises about this neighborhood were the sounds of people yelling out prices for earrings, henna tattoos, sunglasses, and other small trinkets. Over on the other side, you can hear someone hacking up their saliva as they spit on the ground. Sometimes late at night, you can also hear the sound of people throwing up. Even though some people might think this area is a tad too crazy, I consider this to be like a second home. I know this area really well, and have a ton of funny memories here with my friends.

Comments